Saturday, January 19, 2013

Paul Instructs on Tongues


In I Corinthians, chapter 14, Paul gives us a lot of information about the use of the gifts of tongues and prophecy, especially the use of tongues. I believe these instructions are as relevant for believers today as they were for the early church, so let's continue listening to what Paul has to say on this topic.
Paul explains in verses 6-13 that tongues do not edify anyone except the one who is speaking, unless what he says is interpreted for the others who are present. If tongues are interpreted, then that is equivalent to prophecy which edifies all who are present. In verse 12, Paul encourages us to seek the gifts that will edify the whole church; therefore, if we are going to speak in tongues in a gathering of believers, we should pray that we can interpret what we are saying. If there is no interpreter, Paul tells us to keep silent in the church, and only speak to ourselves and to God. He does not say we should stop speaking in tongues; we should just do it in such a way that it does not disrupt what is going on. We all know how to talk quietly to ourselves. Paul also confirms here that when we speak in tongues we are speaking to God.

From what Paul wrote here it seems the Corinthians had a lot of people talking out loud in tongues in the service, but there wasn’t too much interpreting going on; therefore, the only ones who were being edified were the ones who were speaking in tongues, and this created a lot of confusion because I imagine they were all speaking out loud at the same time (verse 23). Verses 26-33 explain how the gifts of tongues, interpretation of tongues, and prophecy should properly function in a corporate worship setting.

In verses 14-15, Paul contrasts praying in tongues with praying in our natural language. He says, “If I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. What is the outcome then? I shall pray with the spirit and I shall pray with the mind also; I shall sing with the spirit and I shall sing with the mind also.” This passage reveals a couple of important things. First of all, praying in tongues is also referred to as praying in or with the spirit, and one can also sing with the spirit. I have participated in corporate worship in which many were singing in the spirit together and harmonizing. It is one of the most beautiful things you will ever hear on this earth. It truly sounds like my idea of a heavenly choir. In contrasting praying with the spirit and praying with the mind, Paul is making it clear that when we pray in the spirit (in tongues) we don’t understand what we are saying, even though we are being edified spiritually, so he is saying we should also pray  with our mind so that we understand what we are saying. Both types of prayer are equally valid and necessary. Paul goes so far as to say, “I thank God, I speak in tongues more than you all; however, in the church I desire to speak five words with my mind, that I may instruct others also, rather than ten thousand words in a tongue.” (verses 18-19)

To sum up this teaching, Paul states, “Therefore, my brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak in tongues. But let all things be done properly and in an orderly manner.” (verses 39-40) Due to the abuses that have taken place with tongues, a lot of churches and/or pastors have thrown the baby out with the bath water and now forbid people to speak in tongues. In fact, some of them go so far as to say it is of the devil, but we know from the scriptures that this is not true. Tongues is a wonderful gift from the Holy Spirit that was given to edify the believers. It should not be neglected or forbidden. In fact, in Eph. 6:18 Paul tells us to “pray at all times in the Spirit.” Jude 20 speaks of the edification of praying in the Holy Spirit. In my own prayer time I pray more in the Spirit than I do with my mind, partly because I either run out of things to pray, or else I don’t know how to pray about a particular situation. When I pray in the Spirit I know that I am praying according to the will of God because the Holy Spirit is praying through me.  In Romans 8:26-27 Paul explains, “And in the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.” Praying in the Spirit brings a closeness to God and a fellowship with Him that I have not found in any other way. This is truly a gift that is essential to the Body of Christ. It grieves me that so many are missing out on this wonderful means of communication with our God.
"What is the outcome then, brethren? When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification." I Cor. 14: 26

No comments:

Post a Comment