Sunday, February 17, 2013

What Role do Works Play in Salvation?


            In my previous post I began to share with you the means of knowing whether we are saved or not. So far, the scriptures have shown us that we must believe in Jesus as the only way of salvation, and also be walking by faith. This brings me to my third point, and also the most complicated one. Not only must we understand salvation and receive it by faith, but the proof of that faith will be that we are striving to keep the Lord’s commandments. “And by this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. The one who says, ‘I have come to know Him,’ and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him; the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.” (I John 2:3-6) Now, we all know that none of us is able to do this perfectly. If we could, we wouldn’t need a Savior, but God looks on the heart. Do we desire to please our Lord? Jesus told His disciples, “If you love Me, you will keep my commandments.” (John 14:15)

          What commandments was Jesus talking about? Jesus gave us only two commandments, which He enumerated in Matthew 22:37-40 when someone asked Him which is the greatest commandment in the Law. “And He said to him, ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.’” In other words, if we can keep these two commandments, we will have fulfilled all of the Law. Of course, there is no man who is able to do this other than Jesus Christ. That is why we need a Savior; however, Jesus does expect us to be striving to keep these commands.

          Yes, you can be sure of your salvation. It is by the blood of Jesus Christ, by faith in His sacrifice. No amount of works can ever save us; there is nothing we can ever do to earn or merit our salvation. "All our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment." Isaiah 64:6 In spite of this, the scriptures tell us that God, “is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy.” (Jude 24) Jesus also promises to never leave us nor forsake us (Hebrews 13:5), but can we promise Him the same?  He also says that no one can snatch us out of His hands (John 10:27-29), but are we capable of removing ourselves from His hands by way of the free will He gave us when He created us in His own image? As able as God is to keep us, do we not have the ability to remove ourselves from His hands if we so choose? When we get saved, do we suddenly become robots incapable of changing our minds or making our own choices? Do we lose our free will?
 
          I have heard some people explain salvation like this. I am saved; I am being saved; and one day I will be saved. Until we stand in His presence our salvation is not complete. As Paul said in Philippians 3:12-14, "Not that I have already obtained it (the resurrection from the dead), or have already become perfect, but I press on in order that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do; forgetting what lies behind and reaching foward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

No comments:

Post a Comment