Saturday, July 20, 2013

Cursed for Not Tithing?

     Am I cursed if I don't tithe, based on Malachi 3:8-9?  Is that really what the scriptures teach? I have certainly heard that very thing from lots of pulpits, or heard it implied. I have a problem with this.
    
     Since I am not under the Old Covenant, I am also not under the Law. Galatians 3:24-25 states, "Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, that we may be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor." I am not an Israelite, I am not under the Law, and there is no longer a Levitical priesthood, a physical temple, or a storehouse, so why would I be cursed for not tithing?

     Since I am not under the Law, I am also not under the curse of the Law. Jesus redeemed us from the curse of the Law when He hung on the cross. Galatians 3:13-14 states, "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us-- for it is written, 'Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree'-- in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith."

     Ironically, quite the opposite of what I have been told is true. If I choose to, I can put myself back under the curse of the Law by trying to be justified with God by keeping the Law. "For as many as are of the works of the Law are under a curse; for it is written, 'Cursed is everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, to perform them.' Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, 'The righteous man shall live by faith.' However, the Law is not of faith..." Galatians 3:10-12

     Does this mean I am free to just do whatever I want to?  Paul answers this question in Galatians 5:13-14. "For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'"

     "If you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law." Galatians 5:18

    

No comments:

Post a Comment