Thursday, November 15, 2012

My Spiritual Journey

     This is my first blog, and I'm not quite sure how to begin, so I will start by telling you a little bit about my own spiritual journey. First of all, by the title of my blog, you have probably already guessed that I am a Christian. I was "saved" at age 21. By "saved" I mean that I began to believe in Jesus as the only begotten Son of God and to trust in Him to "save" me from my sins. Since that time back in the Spring of 1974, I have been on a spiritual journey of study, exploration, contemplation, adventure, and perseverance. I have come to believe that there is truly nothing that can separate me from the love of God. Romans 8:37-39 My love for Him and my trust in Him grow deeper every day. The scriptures tell us, "We love, because He first loved us." I John 4:19 Truly, to know Him is to love Him. He is love! I John 4:19
     Along my journey I have experienced many different ways of worship and heard many different teachings, which I have tried to test and discern, as the scriptures command us to do. "Examine everything carefully. Hold fast to that which is good." I Thes. 5:21 One important thing that I have discovered along the way is that we live in a time of great apostasy. II Thes. 2:3 There are many false teachers in the world and among the Body of Christ. Jesus warned of false teachers and/or false prophets many times, three times in Matt. 24 alone. We must be "shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matt. 10:16 
     Over the years when topics have piqued my interest I have tried to research them biblically and write down my findings. These are some of the things I will be sharing with you in the hope that what I have discovered may encourage you to also seek the Lord, study the scriptures and come to a biblical conclusion.
     The name of this blog reflects how important the scriptures have been to me in my spiritual journey; however, the Holy Spirit is the One who gives us the ability to understand what the scriptures are saying to us. I can't stress that truth enough. I John 2:27 says, "And as for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him." I only hope that what I have to say may be of some help to you in your own spiritual journey. I pray the Lord will bless my efforts. 
     My favorite verse is, "You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32

Note: All scripture references are from the NASB (my favorite translation) unless otherwise noted.

1 comment: