Monday, November 19, 2012

My Testimony

     Since I will be sharing with you on Christian topics, I thought I should start by telling you about how I came to the Christian faith.

     I was raised in a Presbyterian Church. My parents were wonderful people who loved me dearly and took me to church, but that was as far as my spiritual education went. I don't recall ever hearing anything about "salvation" or being "born again" in my childhood church. My mother was the church treasurer and worked part time in the church office for twenty-five years, but the Bible was never read in our home, and Christianity was not discussed. Ours was a Sunday religion of good works and love for your fellow man, and that was as deep as it went. Granted, those are good things to be taught, but they won't get you to heaven!

     During the 1970's there was a lot of Eastern religion influencing our culture. I began seeking the meaning of life in places other than the church. One day I was reading a book about the Guru Majaraji. When I tried to share what I was reading with my mother-in-law, she asked if I had ever read the Bible, and gave me her own to read. Although I was given a Bible at my confirmation at age twelve, I had to admit that I had never really seriously read it. So, I began to read the Bible starting with the Book of John, and then the whole New Testament, as my mother-in-law had suggested.

     To my great surprise, I suddenly found what I had been searching for, and it had been right under my nose all the time. I now knew that Jesus was the answer to all of my questions. I believed what I read in the scriptures to be the truth, and from that time forward I began to attempt to live my life to please Him. Of course, I haven't always succeeded at that, but that is what a spiritual journey is all about: trying...., failing..., and trying again!

     I have been a Christian now for almost 40 years, and I can honestly say that I would not have wanted to live my life any other way than with Jesus to guide me. It has been a challenge even with Jesus' help, but without Him I know it would have been impossible! I give Him all the praise and glory for anything worthy that I have been able to accomplish, and I thank Him for His forgiveness for the many times that I have fallen short of His will.  He gets all the praise! Thank you, Jesus!

     "And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved." Acts 4:12

No comments:

Post a Comment