Saturday, June 29, 2013

What is a Tithe?

"Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."  II Cor. 9:7

     Technically, a tithe means a tenth, and most of us who have been to church know that when you hear the word "tithe" that means that you are expected to give ten percent of your income that week to the offering plate, and offerings on top of that.

     There was a time, a short period of time, when I believed what I was told, that God expected me to give that ten percent, and I would be "cursed with a curse" (Malachi 3:9) if I didn't give it. God expected it, and that was all there was to it. I had no choice in the matter, no free will about it. The only choice I had was choosing which "church" to give it to, but, of course, I was told that should be the one I was attending at the time.

     When my husband was saved, twenty-five years ago, we began to study the scriptures together. Now, he is very good at asking questions, so he began to ask about this practice of tithing. Where was the command to do this in the scriptures? I was sure I knew the answer to that question, so I began to show him all the scriptures I had been taught about tithing, but as we really began to study these scriptures we realized that all was not as we had been taught.

     In my next few posts I would like to address some of the scriptures that we typically hear being used regarding tithing. It is important for us to understand what the scriptures have to say on this subject. Be a Berean! Acts 17:11 "You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32

No comments:

Post a Comment